logo-final

  • image13
  • image11
  • image12
  • Meet your resident Dentist, Dr. Lillian L. Ebuen
  • The Procedures
  • Our location map

Too Much Sugar

alt


According to guidelines released by the American Heart Association (AHA), the recommended daily sugar intake should be 5 tsps. for women, 9 tsps. for men, and 3 tsps. for children. Exceeding this amount can lead to diseases such as diabetes, obesity, heart-related problems, and even cancer. But as our previous post demonstrated, sugar is everywhere and running away from it is almost close to the impossible. 

Sugar and Teeth

When consuming sweets or sugar, it is broken down by enzymes in the mouth. The end process then provides a breeding ground for bacteria and as they feed, they expel acids that not only weaken and eventually damage teeth enamel but also inflame gums leading to gum disease.

While sugar does play a role in oral diseases, it should be clear that excessive consumption of sweets and sugar coupled with bad oral hygiene are what leads to caries and gum disease. 

However, before we go blaming sugar for all our ills; we should point out that sugar is essential to our health. Sugar provides energy boosts, helps with metabolism, and moderates the production of stress hormones. Total Body Dentistry emphasizes that a balanced diet helps in maintaining good oral health. Learning to distinguish “healthy” sugar from the “harmful” also does a lot of help.

Indeed, it is the copious amounts of sugar that is consumed daily that we should be wary of and not sugar per se. With that said, we can reduce our sugar intake through reading labels (particularly the ingredients of processed food) and knowing what the many different types of sugar used in our food.

Sugar and sweets are pleasurable, there’s no doubt about that but this proves the old adage that too much of anything good can be bad. We’re not telling you to stay away from those M&Ms, what we’re saying is to practice moderation and to always brush after eating sweets (or drink water, at least.)

For more information, send us an email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

 

References:

http://iamdentistry.com/why-is-sugar-bad-for-your-teeth/#.UhWpMeWzpfY
http://lifehacker.com/5809331/what-sugar-actually-does-to-your-brain-and-body
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/importance-sugar-human-body-4424.html

Removing Dental Amalgams: What You Need To Know

alt


The recent mercury spill at Fabella Hospital in Manila once again brought into focus concerns about the use of mercury, its phase-out, and its proper storage.

As of this writing, the Department of Health (DOH) has already announced the successful cleansing of hospital premises but will need further tests and clearance before opening the affected areas for public use.

This news highlighted not only the need for a proper mercury storage facility but also the need for continuous education on handling and managing mercury and mercury-containing products.

Mercury Toxicity

In recent years, the local media has done its share of reporting on mercury spills and poisonings. Undeniably, this helped raise public awareness on mercury toxicity and of the possible results if individuals are exposed to deadly mercury vapors.

A primer released by the World Health Organization (WHO) states that “(M)ercury is highly toxic to human health, posing a particular threat to the development of the child.”  The primer continues by listing down the number of health effects which includes damage to the nervous, respiratory, and immune system and in some cases, “can be fatal.”

While both public and private hospitals have acknowledged the dangers and appropriately taken steps in removing and managing mercury, the dental health sector is still debating on the safety of dental amalgams aka silver fillings.

Dental Amalgams: What About Them?

Silver fillings are dental restorative materials composed of mercury, silver, tin, copper, and other trace metals. Our previous post, “Dental Amalgams: Why the Fuss?” discusses the risks involved (for dentists and patients) in using dental amalgams.

Research conducted by the International Academy for Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT), an organization of academics, scientists, and dentists, have continuously shown that mercury vapors from the amalgams can seep into the body through chewing and drinking. As such, IAOMT has been calling for the removal of dental amalgams and other mercury-containing products in dental health care.

Dr. Lilian Ebuen, head of the Philippine Chapter of IAOMT reiterates that there’s already a government order in place, calling for hospitals and other healthcare facilities to stop using mercury-containing products and it’s about time that the dental sector – including the dentistry schools – to follow suit. 

“There are better options such as resin-based composites and atraumatic restorative treatment (ART).  These have consistently proven to be more practical, more durable and more affordable than dental amalgams. In fact, developed countries have moved away from using mercury in treating caries altogether.” she adds.

Removal of Dental Amalgams

Patients with dental amalgams and are concerned about their health should consult their dentist. Preferably, look for dentists that are accredited by IAOMT since they are most knowledgeabe and have the skills in dealing with the matter.

For a directory of IAOMT accredited dentists, follow this link

If you’ve decided to get the fillings removed, there are a number of precautions and procedures that must be observed.

1.    Ensure that the dentist has the proper equipment in removing amalgams. This is not a simple process and should be approached with caution, the dentist must have “(A)n efficient suction system in the oral cavity with a special tip or its equivalent to contain amalgam particles and mercury vapors.”

2.    The dentists and his/her staff must wear protective gear during the removal.

3.    Patients should likewise be protected. The patient’s face should be covered with a damp paper towel or a surgical drape.

4.    The patient must also be provided with piped-in air so as “to avoid breathing air directly over the mouth during amalgam removal.”

5.    The dentists should be applying generous amounts of water during the removal and

6.    The amalgam should be removed in large chunks to reduce mercury vapour.

For more information, please email us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Our staff is trained in handling dental amalgam related questions and will be more than happy to assist you. For further inquiries, you can check out the IAOMT-Philippine website, http://www.iaomtphilippines.org/
 

sources:

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/68488/doh-says-clean-up-of-mercury-spill-at-fabella-hospital-completed
http://www.who.int/phe/news/Mercury-flyer.pdf
https://iaomt.org/safe-removal-amalgam-fillings/
http://iaomt.org/find-a-doctor/faqs-for-patients/

Meridian Tooth Chart

 

You Put What In My Mouth?

YOU PUT WHAT IN MY MOUTH? documents the lives of 3 people as they struggle to inform the federal government and public of dentists' disregard for manufacturer warnings and occupational safety regulations during the placement, polishing and removal of mercury dental fillings. This disregard shields dentists from being aware of the devastating effects of dental mercury exposure to their patients, staff, and the environment. 

 

         

Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas

The dramatic video titled Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas has had a tremendous impact on both the public and professional audiences.The full version plays 40 minutes with interviews of experts in the fields of mercury toxicology, environmental medicine, politics and dentistry

<